Death Note recs

Posted on August 17, 2008
Filed Under small fandom recs, anime/manga fandom, Death Note recs |

As usual,

## means “loved to bits OMG!”
# stands for “liked.”
[] means “rather liked,” on the brink between “liked” and “not my thing.”

If you want my reviews of manga and yaoi manga that I liked, click here. Other fandom recs are here.

Death Note Post Script: an Unofficial Blooper Reel, by moonythestrals #
Light/L, R, short. Summary: You know all of those things that should’ve happened in the actual series, but didn’t? Yeah, I don’t either - but my brain made a valiant effort to uncover them at four in the morning.
Spoilers: For the entire series, just to be safe.

Meta!fic. In my opinion, very funny. I like watching bloopers, so I enjoyed this fic a lot. It’s even more amusing on the second reading or if you try to imagine it as ‘real’ mis-filmed or mis-drawn scenes. My favourite thing: Hermione!Misa :) And the thing that made me laugh out loud was the several reshootings of THE scene from vol. 7.

And to think that I wasn’t even going to read more DN fic :) I’m a magpie *sadface*

Implication, by puella_nerdii []
L/Light, NC-17, ficlet. Warning: Spoilers through ch. 38 or so. Prompt: July 3: Death Note - L/Light - talking during sex - all the way up to the edge where logic starts to fade

Very amusing, on the dark side of things. The joy of a properly done tiny!fic is its ending, isn’t it? This one’s ending is bril.

A Shinigami Fable, by Amanuensis #
Gen, ~650 words. Summary: The Shinigami have begun to tell stories.

Witty and hilarious, it answers the burning question “Why Misa Misa?” and quite a few of others — tongue firmly in cheek, of course. Ryuk’s running commentary is perfect.

A Tithe to Hell, by Aja (bookshop) ##
Light/L, NC-17, 34,000 words. AU, set immediately after manga issue 53 (the end of the Yotsuba Arc). Warnings for: knife/bloodplay, excessive eyerolling, bad metaphoric comparisons of L to fish, amphibians, birds, monkeys, insects, cave dwellers, and fungi, ridiculous amounts of cuddling, and cake as a plot device.

This is just bloody amazing. I finished it and kept staring at the screen, robbed of words and possibly even thoughts ‘cos they simply kept returning to the scenes of this story, rotating them in my head. I’m not sure I want to read another DN fic or even delve in this fandom at all because after this, how could they bloody compare? Guh.

It’s everything I would ever want L and Light’s relationship to be, every character trait perfectly explored, every mind-game potential fulfilled, every detail of behaviour and appearance taken into account. And it’s so poignant, so beautiful! The author made me see and feel, cry and grin, be there, become them.

They say familiarity breeds contempt. For me, it rather breeds inattention, the lack of consideration. I’ve been in HP fandom for years, so I stopped admiring — stopped noticing even that unique chameleon skill that makes a good writer take somebody else’s character and recreate it perfectly, as if it were their own invention, naturally like breathing. I read a story with a Snape that is perfectly Snape, I see a Harry who is so Harry that I can’t help saying “OMG it’s him!” and I take it for granted. And only when I come to a new fandom, do I begin noticing such things again afresh. Aja took my breath away with this skill here. A perfect Light. A perfect L. Simply wow.

Comments

14 Responses to “Death Note recs”

1. rubysp on August 22nd, 2008 1:08 pm

Thank you so much for the recs!! I’m always looking forward to your updates and new fices to read. In return, can I give you some fabulous recs of Death Note fanfiction I’ve read?

Poison Apple
    Summary: Death Note with a Disney spin. Maybe their poison drenched love, this twisted fairytale of most wicked beauty, is all that matters, even when L is dragged back from his grave and faced with his poisoned apple again
    Notes: This is simply the BEST and MOST mezmerizing I’ve ever read. It entails from the beginning to L’s death, and after. With a darker reference to Disney’s tales. Words can’t describe how precious it is to find such amazing fanfiction.

Once is Once
    Summary: The same second that short and messy raven black hair was revealed, he staggered one step backwards. Those deep, black eyes looked calmly back at him. He took a shaky breath. “…L…”

Reigning On Heaven
    Summary: Raito attends Whammy’s after losing his family. Years later, Kira is added to the equation; will Raito fight a justice he secretly agrees with, or will he succumb to Kira’s righteous enthrall, even if it means losing L too?

Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Summary: An alternate universe. L and Raito meet under different circumstances.

True Elision
    Summary: Raito dies and becomes nothing. But the Shinigami need his soul,so they give him a second chance.They recreate his spirit and send him to a hellish trial where he must face his living nightmares

The Fruiter Quirks
    Summary: It had only been a day since they’d been handcuffed together and Light was finding the prospect of strangling Ryuuzaki with the chain more and more appealing by the second

Kingdom Come
    Summary: The Killer God has won his Utopia. Kira has the world in the palm of his bloodied hand, and he keeps his trophy chained up in his basement.

2. painless.j on August 24th, 2008 8:08 pm

Thank you! I’ll check them :)

3. ray on October 15th, 2008 3:26 am

hey, i know its a long shot that anyone would have info on this, but idk where to go. the story rubysp linked, once is once, does anyone know if it will ever be finished? i started it, got hooked, and well… it hasn’t been updated since 07. actually, the whole profile hasn’t. its like the authoress dropped off the face of the earth.

4. painless.j on October 15th, 2008 11:07 am

I’m sorry, I have no idea :(

5. IshtarFish on July 8th, 2009 8:31 am

Hey, I hope it’s okay that I rec something to you? Just, I read it a while ago but it is one of the only DN fics I’ve ever liked immensely just because I could easily substitute it into the real plotline. It’s really very clever (I think so, anyway) and I really really enjoyed it and it’s sequel is looking good as well, even uncompleted. If you have time, definitely check it out ^.^

(Don’t be put off by the site, please, i know.)

6. dana on December 10th, 2010 5:19 pm

i would like to rec few Death Nate. hope that is ok

Scarlet Letter by RobinRocks
    A gothic romance of L Lawliet, Beyond Birthday and Light Yagami as the tales of serial murderers tangle on the streets of London, shrouded by the shadow of the single letter that started it all.

Friend or Foe by Spotofpaint
    Light and L struggle with their desire to defeat the other, but also at the same time long to be friends. Their conflicted emotions make for a complicated storyline and sometimes can inspire both humor and drama.

7. JL on July 19th, 2011 5:48 am

I admire Tithe to Hell for how well the characters are portrayed. The language is so vivid. It’s one of my favorites as well.

I would recommend reading Coexistence is Boredom (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3247965/1/Coexistence_is_Boredom).

Summary: A new deathnote. A new plan for world sanctity. And an entirely misled Catholic clergy. Raito and L take their respective places on the sides of their own justice. A final battle waged in the Garden of Eden.

The summary doesn’t do the fic justice on how incredible the plot is. It’s regrettable that it doesn’t look like the story will be updated but there’s a lot of it.

8. Kirara on October 17th, 2011 1:04 am

Thank you for the recommendations. I’m currently reading A Tithe to Hell. It’s gorgeous.

I also recommend you to read Coexistence is Boredom. As JL previously said, it really has an incredible plot, and the author had portray the characters as OC as possible. He/she is pure genius. I think I’ve had emotional roller coaster while reading this fic.

9. Greenie on September 1st, 2012 10:48 pm

I going to go start reading A Tithe to Hell now, but I wanted to recommend Genius is a Curse: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4029915/1/Genius_is_a_Curse
    If Light had never touched the Death Note, would he ever have found an escape from the depression and boredom that plagued him? Would he have had a future at all? T for dark themes.

10. mrbiq on March 11th, 2014 3:04 pm

I second “Genius is a Curse”. I also recommend “The art of Drowning”, which is similarly dark, and “Redivivus”. The latter simply for the enjoyment.

Your list is interesting.

11. Deandre Madre on July 22nd, 2014 7:00 am

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

12. Sung Bolles on July 25th, 2014 4:59 am

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

13. Vance Krein on July 25th, 2014 4:04 pm

That is the proper weblog for anyone who desires to search out out about this topic. You understand so much its almost exhausting to argue with you (not that I actually would need…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply great!

14. Blake Click on July 26th, 2014 6:54 am

Whats up! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the nice information you could have right here on this post. I might be coming back to your blog for more soon.